The Rotterdam Institute of Law & Economics (RILE) of Erasmus School of Law is located at Woudestein Campus, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Burgemeester Oudlaan 50.
See also: http://www.eur.nl/english/guide/ (guide and maps).
Offices and office facilities
Doctoral Candidates will use dedicated (shared) offices at the RILE.
Candidates will also have access to university free WI-FI, to an email account, and to printers.
You will be allowed to use any of the University’s libraries and any online specialized databases. A university library card will be arranged via the RILE secretariat.
See also: Erasmus Student Service Centre
The above refers to the general information pages of Erasmus University Rotterdam. Not all information is applicable to EDLE students. In case of doubt, please do not hesitate to contact rotterdam[AT]edle-phd.eu
If you search on the private market please be aware of the following:
- Sometimes rooms are offered with the remark that they are "not available for students who are registered at the GBA (VTV-plichtig)". Those rooms you better not choose!
Sometimes students still rent a place like this, and then pay money or sign a contract to obtain only a postal address (where they do not live). Never do this! This is illegal, (often) arranged by criminals and can have huge consequences!
- Suburbs and other towns that you also might check are Capelle aan den IJssel, Krimpen aan den IJssel, Spijkenisse, Nieuwerkerk aan den IJssel, Delft, Dordrecht. Especially the latter two are further away, but there is a good connection by train (approx. 20 minutes station to station, but you have to take local transportation time into account as well and that is rather more!). With the recent metro connection even The Hague might be an alternative.
If you find a place outside of Rotterdam, check the distance via www.routenet.nl (also in the English language)!
Capelle, Spijkenisse and Krimpen are good alternatives, especially Capelle (you can also bike!) but of course, it doesn't have the city-atmosphere.
Please carefully consider the number of months you sign the contract for, since most of the times you can’t change or shorten the contract after you signed it!
The course Academic Writing Skills for EDLE PhD students will be offered during the 2nd year in Rotterdam.
All university language courses are open to EDLE PhD students (at their own costs): http://www.eur.nl/english/ltc/
Hopefully, you won't need this, but if you do, it's good to have the information at hand. In The Netherlands you always have to see a general practitioner first (before going to the hospital or specialist). For details see: http://www.eur.nl/english/essc/internationaloffice/studentlife/advice/health/practitioner/
Rotterdam and the Netherlands:
- Tourist information office and general info about Rotterdam: http://www.rotterdam.info/
- Tourist information office and general info about Delft: http://www.delft.nl/
- Tourist information office and general info about Schiedam:http://www.schiedam.nl/Def/Welcome-to-Schiedam.html
- Kinderdijk mills: https://www.kinderdijk.com/
- Tulips a.o. flowers in the Keukenhof (best in spring): http://www.keukenhof.nl/
- Zaanse Schans:http://www.zaanseschans.nl/zschans/index.php
Watch this movie to get some fun and interesting facts about the Netherlands as a country.